Learn more about our experiance through the years
1879 – The first year of the modern history of Bulgaria. This is the year when Sofia was proclaimed capital. The aim of the municipal authorities at the time was to develop the city and one third of the first budget of the capital was allocated for “better city lighting and increasing the number of its lanterns”.
1879 – Thomas Edison invented the incandescent filament bulb.
1 July 1879 – The first electric bulb in Bulgaria was lighted.
1889 - Dolivo –Dobrovolski invented the three-phase alternating current engine.
12 July 1890 – The Sofia mayor Dimitar Petkov (1888 -1893) appointed a commission to explore the opportunities for electricity lighting in the city. The commission recommended the construction of a hydropower plant and inderground (cable) city network was recommended for the city. The electricity distribution was intended to be managed by a central point and to have a telephone connection with the station. At that time most of the large European cities were lighted with gas lanterns. The mayor and the Municipality preferred to consult a number of companies regarding the possibility to use electricity for city lighting.
1891 – The first three-phase transfer of electricity (alternating current) was shown at the exhibition in Frankfurt am Main (Germany) of 16V voltage at the distance of 175 km and transferable power 147,2kW (200hp).
July 1891 – Ganz&Co got the first contract for the implementation of the large-scale project for street lighting. A year later started the construction of the first Bulgarian electricity power plant – HPP Boyana.
April 1898 - Start of the preparation works on the electricity network of the city - transformer units, HV and LV cables, posts.
1stNovember 1900 - The street lighting of Sofia was launched. This was the beginning of the public electricity supply in Bulgaria. The capital of Bulgaria ranked among the first European cities with extensive use of electricity for public needs.
At the time Sofia was of population 68 000 people. The first private customers of electricity lighting were only 17. But the interest for electricity was growing and in the next year the number of customers already totaled 250 people.
1stNovember 1900 - Start of the routine operation of the electricity network of Sofia.
1901 - The generation of electricity at HPP Pancharevo reached 2,5 х10/6/kWh, and the consumption -- 1,4 х10/6/ kWh. The electricity supplier provided electricity for 249 customers, 600 street lighting lamps and an electric tramway.
1910 – The mayor of Pleven Angel Danov tabled for discussion the question of electrification of the city. A tender was announced and only two companies submitted proposals – Siemens and Shucker-Wercker. The second company got the contract.
1914 – The first electricity capacity was installed in Pernik Mines in an attempt to increase the extraction from the pits. A 55 kV generator was put into operation, which was used till 1925. It supplied electricity not only to the mines but to the homes of the miners surrounding the pits.
1921 - Ferdinand Municipality (Montana) assigned to Nikolov-Kohinov Architectural and Technical Office-Sofia to develop a design for electrification of the town. In September 1928 the town was lighted by electric power .
1923 – The first electric bulb was on in Gorna Djumaya (Blagoevgrad).
1924 - The onset of the public electrification of Blagoevgrad. The Trade and Industrial Company put into operation a diesel electricity plant with capacity of 400kW.
1925-1940 - The electricity was transmitted by 60 kV overhead electricity lines with total length of 100 km.
1926 - The outset of the electrification of Sofia District. In this year Orion AD, founded in1922, merged with Granitoid AD. The company was a direct investor in HPP Rila, HPP Pastra, HPP Kamenitsa, and the first in the country PHPP Kalin. The related transmission and distribution electricity power lines and substations were constructed together with the construction of the Rila water cascade. The initial voltage was planned at 35 kV but later it was projected to 60 kV.
June 1926 – Substation Orion was put into operation. It initially operated two transformers of 2 000 kVA each and voltage 35/15kV. After extension of capacity the substation became a linking point of the Rila HPPs and the stations of the Belgium joint-stock company Electricity Company for Sofia.
1926 – The outset of electrification in Svoge. Vasil Peev put a small HPP of capacity 125kW for the needs of the chocolate factory.
1926 – The small HPP on the Bistritsa River was put into operation. The first residential buildings in Blagoevgrad were supplied with electricity.
1927 – The outset of the electrification of the town of Kyustendil, although the first electric bulb had been on as early as 1911. Four 6kV/0,4kV transformer units were initially constructed in the town of total capacity200kVA.
1944-1970 - The need for new capacities increased. Eight substations were constructed during this period, the transmission and distribution networks were developed, 110kV and 220kV, and later 400kV voltages. TPP Sofia and TPP Traicho Kostov were under construction.
1stJanuary 1948 – A state-owned company Electricity Supply Sofia was established at the Ministry of Energy and Water Resources. In 1958 the company was restructured and renamed to Electricity Supply Stolichno. The company serviced three regions.
2000 – Electricity Distribution Stolichno AD was established after the severance of NEK AD with Order of the State Energy and Energy Resources Agency (at present–Ministry of Economy and Energy). It was a successor of the company Electricity Supply – Stolichno.
2005 – The state-owned company Electricity Distribution EAD and the companies Electricity Distribution Sofia Oblast EAD and Electricity Distribution Pleven EAD were privatized. The contract for the privatization was signed on 19.11.2004 between the Republic of Bulgaria, represented by the Privatisation Agency and CEZ, the Czech Republic. The procedure for the privatization of EDC Stolichno, EDC Sofia Oblast and EDC Pleven was completed at the beginning of 2005 when the Privatisation Agency endorsed 67% of the shares, purchased by the Czech company CEZ.
With a decision of the then Minister of the Energy and Energy Resources Milko Kovachev, Electricity Distribution Stolichno, Electricity Distribution Sofia Oblast and Electricity Distribution Pleven changed their system of management from one-tire to two-tire – of a supervisory board and a management board. Till the beginning of 2007 the companies had as well licence for public supply of electricity to the residents on the territory they serviced.
3rdJanuary 2007 - Pursuant to the requirements of § 17 from the Transitional and Final Provisions of the Energy Act the electricity supply and operative management activities and the electricity supply and the other activities of the electricity distribution companies were legally and organizationally unbundled. The electricity supply activity were transferred to a newly established company CEZ Electro Bulgaria AD.
2ndNovember 2007 – Electricity Distribution Sofia Oblast AD, Electricity Distribution Pleven AD and Electricity Distribution Stolichno AD merged. In practice the two distribution companies Sofia Oblast and Pleven incorporated into Stolichno. The aim of the restructuring was to optimize the activities of the three electricity distribution companies on the territory of Western Bulgaria, to improve their management and thus achieve higher efficiency. This was planned to create conditions for the equal quality of customer service in the whole of Western Bulgaria and for the introduction of consistent policy for the electricity network maintenance and development.
29 January 2008 - With a decision of Sofia City Court Electricity Distribution Stolichno AD was renamed to CEZ Distribution Bulgaria AD.